Ukraine's anti-corruption watchdog said on Thursday that it detained an armed forces official accused of helping draft-age men flee the country in exchange for a cash payment.
Since Kyiv introduced martial law after Russia's invasion last year, able-bodied men between 18 and 60 have been forbidden from leaving the country and may be called up for military service at any time.
Ukraine's State Bureau of Investigation said in a statement that the official, who worked in the Kyiv city administration and headed a department in the army, had issued false documents declaring men unfit for military service.
Men who are able to provide these documents are allowed to cross the border.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access