Rarely a month goes by without big tech companies getting fined for price fixing, squashing competitors or misusing data, but it can take years before they pay a penny.
Ireland's data regulator confirmed to AFP that Meta has not paid any of the two billion euros in fines issued since last September. TikTok also owes hundreds of millions.
Amazon is still appealing against a 746 million euro fine from 2021, Luxembourg's data regulator said.
Google is still disputing EU fines worth more than eight billion euros for abusing its market position between 2017 and 2019.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access