The United States backs pauses in Israel's war against Hamas to allow aid to get into the Gaza Strip, the White House said Friday as Israel said it was extending ground operations.
"We would support humanitarian pauses for stuff getting in, as well as for people getting out," White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told reporters.
"That includes pushing for fuel to get in and for the restoration of electrical power," he said, adding that they were critical for medical care, water purification and "so many other needs."
His comments came after EU leaders meeting in Brussels demanded "humanitarian corridors and pauses" in the conflict.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access