A 92-year-old, Indian great-grandmother has learned to read and write after going to school for the first time, inspiring others to join her, media and officials said Wednesday.
Salima Khan, born in about 1931 and married at 14 — two years before the end of British colonial rule in India — had a lifelong dream of being able to read and write.
Khan, from Bulandshahr in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, said there were no schools in her village when she was a girl.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access