Russia has waged an unprecedented crackdown on dissent since the military campaign in Ukraine began in February 2022.
But in a first, it has charged a man who expressed critical opinion in an on-the-street interview to the media with "spreading fakes" on the Russian army.
"I do not regret anything. Life is like a swing. There are highs and lows," Yuri Kokhovets, 37, told reporters.
In July 2022 Kokhovets was approached by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) outside a central Moscow metro station and asked to give his views on the conflict. He blamed Moscow and criticized President Vladimir Putin.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access