The Canadian government on Tuesday warned members of the LGBTQ community planning to visit the United States they may be at risk in some parts of the country, telling them to "check relevant state and local laws."
The advisory links to a government web page that emphasizes that some foreign jurisdictions may target people based on their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Published online on the website of Global Affairs Canada, such warnings are usually reserved for countries known for LGBTQ rights violations, such as Russia, Egypt and Uganda.
Canada's travel advisories generally focus on risks linked to political instability or natural disasters.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access