Troubled Chinese property giant Country Garden risks defaulting on its bond payments next month, which could have disastrous consequences for the world's second-largest economy.
The firm's debt woes come two years after the unravelling of its competitor Evergrande.
Here is why Country Garden's plight is being closely monitored by markets:
How important is Country Garden?
Country Garden was China's largest private developer in terms of sales last year. It has extensive operations in small cities, which host about 60 per cent of its projects.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access