A harm-reduction app from Vancouver-based company Lifeguard Digital Health is gaining traction in Canada among drug users.
The Lifeguard app’s core feature is a timer, which users set themselves before ingesting their drug of choice. When the timer expires, the user must click a button indicating they haven’t overdosed. If they don’t, the app automatically contacts emergency responders on the user’s behalf.
Since March 2020, the app has saved 69 lives, founder and CEO Jeff Hardy told Canadian Affairs.
But some experts question whether harm-reduction tools like Lifeguard really serve the needs of users.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access