Russia has over the past several years strengthened its presence in Africa, vowing to intensify grain exports, weapons deliveries and energy cooperation.
The world's poorest continent is gaining importance for Russia, which has been isolated from Europe and the United States since launching its offensive in Ukraine in February last year.
Russia in July pulled out from the a deal that allowed Ukrainian grain exports through the Black Sea.
The agreement had eased fears of a global food crisis triggered by the conflict between Ukraine and Russia, two major grain exporters.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access