Canada’s veterinary sector — which serves pet owners and the animal production sector — is facing a severe labour shortage.
“The shortages are dire and lead to very undesirable situations,” said Dr. Marco Veenis, director with the Society of B.C. Veterinarians.
Veenis cited an animal hospital in Prince George, B.C. that shortened its hours in April and now closes by 6 p.m. weekdays. It has no vets available on weekends because the city simply doesn’t have enough vets to keep up with the demand.
“There have been instances where animals just didn’t get timely care and died as a result or had increased suffering,” Veenis said.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access