Yuriy Korpan is 39 years old but looks a decade older, his face worn as he returns from a week of combat near Bakhmut.
The Ukrainian infantryman, a father of three, was fighting to retake Bakhmut, a city which fell entirely into Russian hands in May after a battle that lasted nearly a year.
On his last day on the frontline before a week's rest, Korpan remembers "the bombing started at four in the morning with mortar and artillery fire.
"Then it calmed down a bit. Then an hour later, the enemy attacked," he told AFP.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access