A firefighter in western Canada has died battling one of the devastating wildfires that have ravaged the country for weeks, her union announced Friday.
The incident on Thursday was the first death on the ground since the start of the fire season, in which more than 900 fires are burning including 570 out of control.
The British Columbia General Employees Union said the woman died outside the town of Revelstoke in British Columbia.
"It is with heavy hearts that our union mourns the loss of one of our BCGEU family," it said.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access