Germany's armed forces are facing major problems in attracting new recruits, the defence minister said Wednesday, as Berlin seeks to overhaul its creaking military following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
The Bundeswehr has long suffered from a lack of resources and funding but the start of the Ukraine war prompted Chancellor Olaf Scholz to pledge to boost spending.
However, a central challenge is recruiting the next generation of soldiers, admitted Defence Minister Boris Pistorius during a visit to an armed forces career centre in Stuttgart.
"Everyone is talking about a shortage of personnel in the Bundeswehr — and no one knows this better than I," he told reporters.
Register to read the full article.
Already have an account? Sign In.
Register for free for:
- Access to ten free articles per month
- Our weekly roundup of top stories
- Monthly newsletters on topics of your choice
- Unlimited article access each month
- Crosswords and puzzles on Canadian holidays
- Full newsletter access